HR Insights: Is Your Award Changing?
Is your award set to change? If yes, are you across the changes and how they may impact your business?
As part of the Fair Work Commission’s 4-yearly review of modern awards, there are more than 30 modern awards which have been reviewed and amended, with changes set to apply from the first full pay period on or after 4 February 2020.
Overview of Changes:
The 4 yearly review scheme commenced on 1 January 2014 and awards have been consistently reviewed at these intervals since it’s commencement. Typically reviews will result in the Commission creating new modern awards, combining or varying existing awards, or in some cases, cancelling current awards. However, the last round of the 4 yearly review has seen a big focus on language simplification and composition of awards, which will be a welcome change to many employers who spend hours trying to decode their ‘confusing’ legislative obligations.
Aside from the more manageable and straightforward content of these updated awards, there may be additional changes to the rules and entitlements which should be observed. That is why it is important that you exercise your due diligence to find out exactly what changes have been made to your award and how the changes may impact your business. Follow our simple steps below to ensure you are compliant with the changes.
The Awards with changes that will apply from the first full pay period on or after 4 February 2020 are listed below. Check to see if your award is listed.
- Aluminium Industry Award 2020
- Ambulance and Patient Transport Industry Award 2010
- Award Animal Care and Veterinary Services Award 2020
- Aquaculture Industry Award 2020
- Banking, Finance and Insurance Award 2020
- Book Industry Award 2020
- Car Parking Award 2020
- Cement, Lime and Quarrying Award 2020 (the previous ‘Quarrying Award 2010’ has been incorporated into the previous ‘Cement and Lime Award 2010’)
- Cemetery Industry Award 2020
- Coal Export Terminals Award 2020
- Corrections and Detention (Private Sector) Award 2020
- Cotton Ginning Award 2020
- Electrical Power Industry Award 2020
- Gardening and Landscaping Services Award 2020
- Hydrocarbons Industry (Upstream) Award 2020
- Legal Services Award 2020
- Market and Social Research Award 2020
- Medical Practitioners Award 2020
- Nursery Award 2020
- Oil Refining and Manufacturing Award 2020
- Port Authorities Award 2020
- Premixed Concrete Award 2020
- Racing Industry Ground Maintenance Award 2020
- Real Estate Industry Award 2020
- Seafood Processing Award 2020
- Silviculture Award 2020
- Sporting Organisations Award 2020
- State Government Agencies Award 2020
- Surveying Award 2020
- Travelling Shows Award 2020
- Water Industry Award 2020
Click here to visit the Fair Work Commission’s website and download your updated copy of the relevant Award to understand the changes.
If you need further assistance with understanding the changes and your award obligations, please contact our team of HR professionals at [email protected] or on 1300 675 393.