Register for fuel tax credits

Check if you can claim for fuel tax credits

You can claim credits for the fuel tax (excise or customs duty) included in the price of fuel used in business activities.

You can claim for taxable fuel that you purchase, manufacture or import. Just make sure it’s used in your business. Taxable fuels include liquid fuels, fuel blends and gaseous fuels.

Check what activities you can claim for

You can claim for business activities in:

  •  machinery
  •  plant
  •  equipment
  •  heavy vehicles over 4.5 tonnes
  •  light vehicles on private roads (not on public roads)

To be able to claim, you must be registered for goods and services tax (GST) and fuel tax credits.

Register for fuel tax credits (and other taxes)

Register for fuel tax credits through the Business Registration Service. You can use the same form to register for other taxes at the same time.

Before you apply: